Ep 150: The Dangers of Shadow Interest Lists

Ep 150: The Dangers of Shadow Interest Lists

May 27, 2021 | By Market Proof Marketing Podcast

Market Proof Marketing · The Dangers of Shadow Interest Lists

Kevin OakleyAndrew Peek, and Julie Jarnagin talk about the dangerous practice of shadow interest lists being created by onsite sales team members, how they lead to poor customer experiences, and why you should nip them in the bud. They also discuss the need for marketers to take a step outside of the box this year and try taking risks (at least 20% of the time) when it comes to marketing your brand.

Story Time (1:11)

  • Julie talks about the need to take risks in marketing, with the rule of thumb being 80% of marketing should be safe while the other 20% should be an intelligent risk. (aweber.com)
  • Andrew also considers the value, or lack thereof, of safe content, and is it worth anything if there’s no emotional connection to it?
  • Kevin believes a bubble is forming and it’s not in housing values, it’s in rogue sales team members creating their own shadow interest lists and prioritizing them above home builder’s actual priority lists. He recounts his first-hand experience from a recent builder visit trip and breaks down why these lists will only cause issues for builders.

In the News (18:02)

  • Home construction sees biggest drop since pandemic hit. (cnbc.com)
  • Low-tax states are winning the real estate battle (housingwire.com)
  • Why some brands plan to participate in Facebook Live shopping events this summer (Digiday.com)
  • How Google’s $150 billion advertising business works (cnbc.com)

Question of the Week 

  • Is walk-in traffic on the rise for builders because of the lack of available homes to purchase across the country? Is this a crazy hypothesis?

Questions? Comments? Email show@doyouconvert.com or call 404-369-2595 and we’ll address them on the next episode.

More insights, discussions, and opportunities in the Market Proof Marketing Facebook group.

Subscribe on iTunes —> https://now.doyouconvert.com/mpm-itunes
Follow on Spotify —>https://now.doyouconvert.com/mpm-spotify
Listen on Stitcher —> https://now.doyouconvert.com/mpm-stitcher 

A weekly new home marketing podcast for home builders and developers. Each week Kevin OakleyAndrew Peek, and others from Do You Convert will break down the headlines, share best practices and stories from the front line, and perform a deep dive on a relevant marketing topic. We’re here to help you – not to sell you!

The post Ep 150: The Dangers of Shadow Interest Lists appeared first on Online Sales and Marketing for Home Builders - DYC.

Online Sales & Marketing Insights Delivered Straight To Your Inbox

Get Free Insights